Thursday 22 February 2007

Finished Ivy

At last I have finished knitting something! All around me people have been knitting one, two or even three pairs of socks a month, Central Park Hoodies and Rogue, with lists of finished items streaming down their blog sidebars, and I've been plodding away, steadily knitting IVY and not actually finishing anything.

Now I have finished and here is the result. It is knitted in Patons Diploma Gold, colour Lupin and it has taken me about six weeks to complete. As I learned new, improved sewing up techniques last year, it has taken me three days to sew together using teeny tiny neat mattress stitch. I've got to say that it was worth it though, the seams are much flatter and neater than I achieved with my previous method.

I really like the finished sweater, it is very versatile and comfortable, and I would like to knit lots more! I'd like several in different colours, and I'd like to knit a summer one now, in a silk and cotton or alpaca mix. However, learning from experience, I am not going to try and knit another one straight away. I have an alpaca sweater for Mr Knitbert to get started on next. It is a strange feeling when I finish a large project which has taken several weeks; although I want to get to the end of the project and wear the garment, I feel strangely unsettled when the project is complete, as if something is missing! It takes me a few days to get engrossed in another project. Luckily I have a couple in waiting - my Hedera for Sock a Month 2007 (will I get them finished by the end of the month?) and a Clapotis in SWT Oasis, which I would like to get completed in time to take on my forthcoming trip. The second stop on the trip, by the way, is Auckland, New Zealand, where we are going to spend some time with Mr Knitbert's family. Yes, Mr Knitbert is a Kiwi!

15 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

That looks great! So neat and a lovely shape. Don't know if I would have had the patience, but then I'm not good at finishing anything at the moment!!!

Glenna C said...

That is one gorgeous FO on you! Very va-va-voom ;) And I love the colour. And I also sympathize on wanting one in every colour - I've stopped myself at 2 so far but I know there will be more...

Linda said...

Ivy is lovely and the shape and length are perfect. It will look good with everything!

Seahorse said...

It looks splendid! Really professional!

Susie H said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. What a perfectly knit, perfectly fitting sweater - you look wonderful in it!

Hawkesley said...

Your Ivy looks gorgeous and the shade is lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Very well done. The color looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with everyone else. It's just beautiful - the knitting looks gorgeous and it looks great on you.

Terri said...

It looks brilliant knitbert!!!! I've the ties to do and finishing off and then I can post a piccie of mine too:-)

Marianne said...

Stunningly beautiful! Well done! It is a very fetching cardi on you and I understand why you would want to have more of them in your wardrobe, just beautiful!
(I popped over from Glenna's)

WildPurl said...

Thank you everyone, for your kind comments! And welcome to those I haven't seen around before. I confess I have bought some Jaeger Trinity to make a summer version, although I will take a little break before starting it, I think.

Kai said...

your Ivy looks absolutely fabulous!! :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! You are a clever knitter that's for sure. Sugarplum xx (P.S. I've started Shoalwater ..... AT LAST!)

Jo028 said...

Your Ivy is simply gorgeous, I love the colour, the fit, the pattern, EVERYTHING!

Lindsey said...

I've told you already on AY, but it really does look stunning! I hope mine fits & looks half as good! :-)